Friday, September 24, 2021

A Few More Things

I found the passenger seat had a couple of small separations. After some MGEXP.com research I found IC-2000 from Bob Smith Industries was the right adhesive to correct this problem.
The directions say to apply and hold for 30 seconds, then wait three hours for full cure, that's it. The bottle also stated that it "bonds skin in seconds", so wear gloves. It is similar to superglue but has a black vinyl finish when dry, perfect!

The rear license plate bracket had a spun captive nut. Now it is captive again and of course painted black!
Now that the engine break it is complete, I found the acceleration to be lacking above 4000 rpm so I checked the timing advance and found it to be, well, not advancing, so I took apart the distributor to check the weights and springs. Everything seemed fine, the weights moved freely which leaves the springs. Getting any deeper into this problem would require making some very complicated test equipment so I opted to send it in to Advanced Distributors to let the expert, Jeff Schlemmer take care of it. I should have it back next week and looking like new.
One of the jobs I have been putting off was correcting an under spray, or lack of base coverage on the bottom inch of the boot lid. I tried to correct just that area but was unable to get a good blend.
So I resprayed the whole thing. It turned out great. The spots are from wet sanding some nibbs.
Now it is all one shade of Blaze, and shinny after a quick cut, buff and polish.
There were some other areas that needed small touch ups. All that was needed was a good clean, a dab of paint, wet sand the paint, smooth with 1500 grit, apply some clear over everything wet sanded.
Wet sand the clear with 2000 grit, then cut, buff and polish. It sounds like a lot, but it ends up being a half hour work to clean and paint, wait 24 hours, sand and clear, a half hour work, wait 24 hours then another half hour to sand, cut and buff. No reason not to take on this kind of touch up job as long as you can park the car for a few days. One also tends to get around to these kinds of tasks when waiting for a distributor to get rebuilt. Until next time...



2 comments:

  1. It's really looking good! I'll have to get some of that IC-2000 because my 74 has the same problem on one seat.
    My old high school buddy is doing the body and paintwork on my 74 and he had to have a knee replacement last month. the doctors say 2 to 6 months, I figure a 1 year delay.
    So enjoy yours as much as possible and I'll be waiting and watching!!!
    Ken Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ken, thanks for taking a look. I am so glad you found a tip that will help with your car. There are plenty more in the blog, I tried to share all the "secrets" I have worked out in the process. Good luck with your paint work, you will be a happy man when you get it back looking like new!

    ReplyDelete