Saturday, April 10, 2021

Paint Preperation, and more preperation, and more

 

Started with the boot lid, it's big, flat and steel. I removed the luggage rack so I welded closed the holes. The filler is just to smooth it out.



This was the side marker, and there was a chip below it so I got that filled while I was in the neighborhood.  
Sanding the transition to the new steel fender bottom. This is block sanding, buy the dura-block set, makes life so much easier, they bed to match the shape of the panel allowing an even curve. 
  


Both dogleg panels needed the same treatment. The panel is easy, it is getting the door edge even that will make you want to throw things. I probably added more filler eight times and then sanded 98 percent of it off again to fill every little hole and ensure the door opening contour was even, it really just takes practice.

Here is the rear valance panel. I had to ask the experts at MGEXP.com if this was normal? Yep, the bumper covers these ugly welds that come with it from the factory.

After finishing the filler, I hand blocked the whole car with 120 then 320 grit paper.

The new weapon, about $40 on Amazon, comes with three nozzles of various size.

I decide to hang the panels for paint so I didn't have to worry about painting door jams separately and other inconvenient procedures.

Tape and paper.

And finally, primer. Aaaaah, that feels good, such a milestone. The $40 gun worked like a champ, two coats gave great coverage and held up to 600 grit hand sanding before paint. Not yet though, while sanding I of course found about ten little pin holes in the primer from the filler. Time to go back and fix those..

My nemesis, the front valance! I have already spent days, maybe a week total replacing metal, cutting bumper slots, pounding out bends, filling and sanding, and when I the primer dried, it still looked like crap. I changed tactics, rock guard.

Three good layers of rock guard hides most of the irregularities and is common for a lower valance. The bumper hides most of this anyway. My choices were limited here. Everyone reports that replacement panels fit badly, so this really was the best option. The 600 grit primer sanding is done, just need to clean it off and shoot base and clear, maybe tomorrow or the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment