Saturday, August 7, 2021

500 Miles

 

What we have here is 500 miles on the reset odometer. 502 miles actually, on the rebuilt engine and refreshed transmission and rear end. I am happy to report it was trouble free with only minor things to address. I started the break in with just a drivers seat and no interior and between driving 40 miles every few days I have managed to install all the remaining parts. Among the fixes, I had to bleed the brakes, fix a wire on the blinkers, and add sound dampening to the fuel pump.
Among other things addressed, the front grill, bumper and even a license plate!
The door trim was looking a little tired, but a few coats of Dupli Color vinyl and fabric specialty coating has them looking fresh!

The shifter had a bit of squeak. Easy fix, add a little Teflon grease and it is good as new!
Next it was time to change the fluids, engine first. It also got a new filter housing, the old one was starting to strip.
Transmission next.
And finally the differential.
The plugs in the diff got replaced too with new hex plugs, the square ones just suck.
Here are the new parts.
Remember when oil was one or two dollars per quart? Yeah, not anymore. $5.99 a quart for conventional oil!
Spark plugs checked.
They look better than I even hoped!
Here is the setup I used to fill the transmission. My chrome bumper MGB transmission is filled from the top through the dipstick hole. AutoZone sells this pump for $10.99. Worth every penny, took five minutes to put in the 2.8 quarts of oil with no mess, in the car anyway. You sill have to clean up the pump. That is all I have to share for today. This means mechanically the restoration is done. I am really pleased that I got 500 miles with no issues with the drive train. Next I am going to see if I can get the exhaust to be a little quieter, and get the fuel and temp gauges to read closer to reality. And then there is still some paint correction to do, almost there though.








No comments:

Post a Comment