Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Carpet

 

This, as most things, turned out to be a learning process. I thought my carpet was usable except the trunk.

I had that reversed. The trunk pieces only need a little help, the center tunnel carpet was trashed. Turns out they don't sell separate pieces of carpet, so I had to get a new set. I went with the deluxe carpet set from NW Import Parts, I think it was a fair price.

The first test fit showed there was a noticeable dip in the transmission tunnel so I added two layers of scrap carpet to smooth it out.

I also had to add a little of that pleather to the hand brake area so the insulation would not show through around the carpet cutout.

The instructions, which I found on MGEXP.com, listed the order which the pieces should be installed, starting with the inner frame rails.

Next was the tunnel. I started by measuring out where the shifter would come through and made a hole in the carpet and insulation that came with it. Then I test fit it and found I was only off about an inch which was fine since I was cutting a 3x4 inch hold around the shifter boot mount flange.

I cut the carpet to match the inside of the chrome shifter trim, and cut the insulation to the outside dimension of the trip piece so it would lay flat. I also drilled the four screw holes to ensure and easy install.

Fits nice and neat and the trim holds the carpet from moving, there is no need to glue the center piece in place other than the bottom edges. This is the look I was going for, I don't like the plastic center console arm rest bits.

The bulkhead behind the seats was a little more complicated since you have to fit the top vinyl piece around the snaps and then glue it all in.

The battery cover piece just lays there and is attached by the four snaps on the forward edge.

The real bear of the job was the rear wheel arches. After an hour of trimming I was able to mark the second piece for the opposite side to shorten the process.

They fit, but there is a difficult seam in the middle, just keep trimming, and then keep gluing and pressing.


Eventually you get there and life is good.
The carpet under the seats isn't going anywhere, so I just cut holes around the spacers that I bolted to the floor before the insulation and carpet was installed.

The front pieces are a pain to reach under the dash, but otherwise not too bad to just glue in. Turns out the outboard kick panels don't get carpet. That is what was in there when I got the car, so I didn't know. I will be making new kick panels that will get covered with the black pleather. Otherwise, I am pretty happy with how this turned out. It took about a day to do, so not too bad. Another two hours to put in the seats and belts, such a pain! Time to drive some more, I am up to 280 break in miles. It is hard to drive very long with the summer heat, best to get out first thing in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment