Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Engine Bay Paint

 

A bit of a mess, this definitely needs work.

The right fender had some bad pitting, so it was filled in with JB Weld and sanded, so much sanding...

Oh yeah, more stuff in the way. Steering column needs to come out too.

Still needs some more sanding...

Finally, primer, progress, and more sanding...

Paint, and repeat for a total of three coats, equaling three 12oz cans of base coat.

Getting there, and no, I didn't forget the radiator panel, it will stay black. I don't like seeing the orange through the grill. When you paint your car, you too can have it your way.

I used BLVC16, Blaze color paint from Paint Scratch.

Here we finally are with the two part isocyanate laden clear coat applied. 

Now that it is dried it looks pretty good, very shinny. I went with this paint and top coat specifically because it doesn't need buffing. Not because I don't like buffing, even though I don't, but because it would be impossible to do it right in the engine bay will with all the contours. While smelly for two days while drying (don't worry I was wearing a mask as soon as I noticed that it was still off gassing), it pops all on its own. Now, I chose this picture because it has the trunk lid in view, in the same light, it doesn't match... I don't know if my new paint is too dark or the decade old paint was the wrong color, or if it just faded with time, but there you have it. I guess I will have to paint the whole car now. I knew this was coming, I just didn't want to think about it.

One final picture with the radiator panel painted, it really ties it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment