Friday, June 11, 2021

First Engine Start After Rebuild

First things first, we need oil pressure and RPM, water temp doesn't hurt either. I have this setup because the dash isn't ready to go in, also the windshield isn't ready. So we will make due.

On the first start attempt the aft carburetor was leaking fuel into the engine, so despite wanting to wait on carburetor rebuilding to ensure an easy start, I had to do it first. This turned out to be a non issue, the only setting to mess with as far as starting it adjusting the jet for richness. Easy, bring the jet flush with the carburetor throat, then back it off two turns, it is easier to count the flats of the bolt so they commonly say back it off 12 flats. The rebuild fixed the fuel problem.

Next I tried starting again and could not get the static timing right, it can be a pain to dial it in even though it seems simple to line up as the manual states. All I can really say is take your time and be patient and methotical.

After all the work, on June 7th it started, 357 days after I pulled the engine from the car. I got the first brake in run done, 2500 RPM for about 25 minutes. This is the suggested break in for the new cam shaft. The oil pressure was holding steady at 60 psi, so all is good. 
 
Here is the engine running for the first time. That whistle is an exhaust leak but nothing more serious happened during the run. After this run I returned the next day and checked the valve lash and ran it again to dial in the ignition timing, and set idle and adjust richness on the carburetors. I am excited to take it for a drive but there is bunch more to do. I kind of need a windshield and dash board, also a seat would be nice. More to follow.

 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment