Monday, June 21, 2021

First Drive and Some Work


 

Yeah, I had the windshield on for a while already but...

One of the four mounting points stripped when I tightened it. Not over tightened mind you, just tight, or not quite tight enough, then it spun. So out it came, in went four heli-coils, no problem, all back together now.
The battery received a hold down bar, custom made.
I ordered a battery cover seal, a round piece of foam like a long fat string showed up, no way to attach it. I had some self adhesive weather stripping laying around, stuck it on.
Now that is done, of course I had to fix one of the anchors, because nothing is easy.
There were about a hundred steps to get to here, but this is the dash fully assembled on the bench and ready to go in.
Dash in with just two bolts holding it for now, just in case.
And just like that, there are 115 mile on the car. This took me three days with a few things to be tweaked after each outing, but nothing major, it runs perfect, it shifts perfect!
The latest change, a bumper! The pile of parts on the shelf is shrinking rapidly, awesome! Just need to put another 400 miles on the car and then I can change all the fluids.
Center console went in just to hold the wires, oh, and I needed the hazard switch for the blinkers to work.
I have a seat belt, it is not set up perfect, but considering the other, non-existent safety features of the car, that is the least of my worries.
I figured out in the first two miles driving that I needed the shifter gaiter in place, hot air was blowing straight at me from under the car, maybe in the winter that would be okay, but not my preference in June in Virginia.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Adam, it's looking real good!! I see you have the pillow dash that is 1968 to 1971. Did you change to that on purpose? A 1974 should have air vents and glove compartment.
    I always leave the gauges out, then I can reach my hands thru the gauge holes to put the nuts on that hold the dash. Then I'll put the gauges in after the nuts are all tightened. That way, I don't have to lay on my back! It's easier with the glove compartment (which you don't have) out.
    That steering wheel really looks good!! I've got one of those on my GT and really like it.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken,
    Thanks for taking a look. The car came with the pillow dash, and it seemed pretty difficult to obtain the correct glove box dash and then there are all the little bits that are not available, so I went with what I had. Plus I like the look of the bare transmission tunnel with just the shifter, looks more roadsterish ;)I like the wheel too, matches the wood shifter knob well.

    ReplyDelete